Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thing #7 2.0 communications

Seriously, I have a cell phone that I rarely use, and can't imagine sending a text msg. I resisted the cell phone for ages until one snowy day...and...anyway, in 15 months I have used it 5 or 6 times.
But, I do use email, and I remember how frustrated I was when trying to learn how and what it was. Linda & I went to a branch out session and we couldn't get anyone to explain to us how to use email. He know SELCO had it but they were not offering training at the time, but the funny thing is, we couldn't communicate that what we were asking was how do we set up our account! Gads, remember the "envelope" and SMTP? After reading the info in Thing7, I went trough and cleaned out my mailboxes, reorganized and promised to only check my mail 3 or 4 times a day.
Now the IM. I took all of that off my home computer. I just don't want to be that available to anyone. (Why I resisted the cell phone) but I think IM for reference would be a great idea and I would like to see it implemented in our library. If there is no one at the desk, set it to offline!
The SMS, seem like a cross between texting and email. The thought of condensing words and using tons o abbreviations seems like it promotes both sloppy writing and quick thinking. ha ha. I like the idea of saying your piece in 25 words or less. My son is a master of that! He was way ahead of the curve on that one.
The thought of text msg a reference librarian really expands the power of information. You could be sitting at the beach and want to know if the creature you just stepped on is poisonous, so take a picture and send it with your question to a librarian. Or if you need to know the names of all 8 reindeer while at a Christmas program, text a librarian. It could also be great for Trivial Pursuit. Okay, okay, I know kids are welded to their phones and they would use it. Which means no cell phone in class? I know if they were sitting across the room from a librarian, they would probably ask her via email, IM or text msg before walking over there.

No comments: